Copyright Licensing

communities_1.jpg
 View Only

Roundtable Discussion on NFTs - Aug 25, 2022

• 1.  Roundtable Discussion on NFTs - Aug 25, 2022

Posted 08-25-2022 08:16
    Edited by Dana Colarulli 08-25-2022 08:38
    Thank you to @Ploynapa Julagasigorn and @Criselda Santiago for moderating the session this am on NFTs for the committee (and to committee chair @GEORGE HWANG for kicking off the session today! We had great participation and a few interesting questions.

I hope this is the beginning of a conversation within this committee which we can continue!  I encourage you all to use this form to share developments or ask questions about NFTs -- and the implications for IP when licensing these rights (Thanks @Michelle Ray-Jones for the suggestion!!)

For those interested in reading the "Fat Tiger" case mentioned during the webinar, here is the cite to the case and a link:
    Shenzhen Qice Diechu Cultural Creation Co., Ltd. v Hangzhou Yuanyuzhou Technology Co., Ltd. (2022) Zhe 0192 Civil First Instance No 1008, Hangzhou Internet Court, 20 April 2022 (see: mv-nl_04-2022_first-nft-decision-in-china_urteil--internet-court-hangzhou_final_neu_pdfa.pdf (taylorwessing.com))

I'll add that the US law firm, Jones Day, also published an interesting overview of some of the legal issues around NFT from the US perspective last year that I found helpful and might interest some: Key U.S. Legal Considerations for NFTs | Jones Day

We recorded this morning session and we can also post that link here when available.​​​​​​​

Event Date: August 25, 2022, 7:00 pm SGT
    Event Description: “NFT”, Non-Fungible Token, has become a buzzword in the last year. Despite their growing popularity, there is still uncertainty surrounding the IP rights they encompass and how they fit into the traditional IP law scheme. As such, the Entertainment, Media and Copyright Committee is facilitating an open forum discussion amongst its members to explore thoughts and share expertise on the topic.

Facilitators: Ploynapa Julagasigorn and Criselda Santiago

------------------------------
    Dana Colarulli
    LESI Executive Director
    Washington DC
    (202) 841-0276 | dana@lesi.org
    ------------------------------